Practices for Nurturing the Spiritual Lives of our Children & Youth
Clergy, Sunday School teachers, youth ministry advocates, lay readers and intercessors, parents, grandparents, Godparents and more are cordially invited to the Deanery-wide workshop, “Practices for Nurturing Christian Spirituality in the Lives of our Children and Youth.”
The workshop is planned for Saturday 29 September 2012 at St. Mark’s Chapel (Thorneloe University) on the Laurentian University campus, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. An additional, follow-up session to the Messy Fiesta held last June in Sudbury has been added from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. for those churches (Anglican or otherwise) interested in beginning Messy Church locally.
It is designed especially to encourage and better equip all those invested in nurturing the spiritual lives of our children and youth. You are not obliged to stay for the Messy Church follow-up session if this does not apply to you.
This Saturday workshop is free of charge, though you are asked to bring a bag lunch and a water bottle.
The format for the day follows:
- 10:00 – 10:15 a.m. Welcome, Coffee, Introductions
- 10:15 – 11:15 a.m. An overview of the important themes from the Revised Common Lectionary readings for the “Sunday School” year by the Rev. Dr. Tim Perry (Epiphany)
- 11:15 – 11:45 a.m. A “poster” session with Sunday School teachers and others showcasing the church school curriculum they are using, perhaps a special project in which the children/youth have been involved during the past year, a good idea gained from a summer VBS program or the recent Messy Fiesta workshop, etc.
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. A session on nurturing the faith of our children and youth by Cindy Derrenbacker (Ascension)
- 12:30 – 1:00 p.m. Break for lunch
- 1:00 – 1:30 p.m. A time to pray together for the Sunday School year, for the children/youth we encounter in our daily lives, etc.
- 1:30 — 2:30 p.m. Messy Church Follow-up
Please contact me by email or phone if you plan to attend. Looking forward to sharing Saturday morning, September 29th with you!
Sudbury-Manitoulin Deanery Child & Youth Ministry Facilitator
Diocese of Algoma, Anglican Church of Canada
(705) 586 – 2258